Bandera in Bandera County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Bandera Methodist Church (County's First Protestant Church)
Built 1880 by members under leadership of B.F. Langford, Sr. Gothic architecture. Hand-cut limestone, with oak timbers. Though enlarged and remodeled, retains original charm. Rev. John Devilbiss (who helped found first Protestant church in San Antonio) held services here 1861. Church organized 1867 by Rev. A.J. Potter; charter members included Rugh, Langford, Stevens Families. Daniel Rugh organized first Sunday school, April 18, 1869.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 292.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is April 18, 1869.
Location. 29° 43.501′ N, 99° 4.39′ W. Marker is in Bandera, Texas, in Bandera County. Marker is at the intersection of 11th Street and Hackberry Street, on the right when traveling north on 11th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bandera TX 78003, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bandera, Texas USA (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Great Western Cattle Trail (about Bandera, Texas USA (about 300 feet away); Recognizing Bandera "Cowboy Capital of the World" (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Great Western Cattle Trail (about 300 feet away); Bandera, "Cowboy Capital of the World" (about 300 feet away); Bandera Historic Town Center (about 300 feet away); Bandera's First Bank (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bandera.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 30, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 107 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 30, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.