Jasper in Newton County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
Erected 1936 by Arkansas Centennial Commission 1836-1936, Arkansas History Commission. (Marker Number C-12.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Arkansas Centennial Commission, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is December 14, 1842.
Location. 36° 0.471′ N, 93° 11.216′ W. Marker is in Jasper, Arkansas, in Newton County. Marker is on Church Street just east of Stone Street (State Route 7), on the left when traveling east. Marker is located at the southwest corner of the Newton County Courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 East Court Street, Jasper AR 72641, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Arkansas Marble in Washington’s Monument (approx. Beaver Jim Villines (approx. 9.6 miles away); A Monarch Returns (approx. 10.1 miles away); Boxley Valley (approx. 10½ miles away).
More about this marker. One of 143 cast-iron markers placed across Arkansas in partnership with the Arkansas History Commission during the state's 1936 centennial.
Regarding Newton County. Newton County Courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, #94001412.
Also see . . .
1. Newton County, Arkansas (Wikipedia). Newton County is Arkansas's 46th county, formed on December 14, 1842, and named for Thomas W. Newton, an Arkansas Congressman. Newton County residents were divided during the Civil War, serving in both the Confederate and Union armies. (Submitted on September 2, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Newton County Courthouse (Wikipedia). Two-story masonry structure, constructed out of concrete and limestone, with restrained Art Deco styling. The entrance is at the center, with "Newton County" inscribed in a panel above it, with stylized Art Deco elements. It was built in 1939 with funding from the Works Progress Administration. (Submitted on September 2, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 31, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 123 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 2, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.