Near Moulton in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1916, nineteen taxpayers of the Moulton Independent School District (MISD) petitioned the county court to establish a new rural school for northwest Lavaca County, because unpaved roads and a lack of school buses made it difficult for rural children to attend schools in Moulton. The petition was granted and Distract 64 was formed, encompassing about eight square miles from the Gonzales-Lavaca County line to within two miles of Moulton.
Joe Culak donated one acre of land for the school, and so the school was named "Culak's School" in his honor. The first school board election was held in April 1917 with Culak, Gus Huff and Alois Zidek elected trustees. A 24 by 48 foot frame building was erected in the spring of 1917, and Ruby Meiners was hired as the first teacher. Enrollment varied through the years and was highest from the mid-1920s to the early 1940s. The county school board certified Culak's School to teach seven grades in 1934 and eight grades the following year. Prior to the 1935-36 term, a second teacher, Ben Darilek, was added to help with increasing turnout, and the schoolhouse was enlarged and renovated. Peak enrollment
The final school year at Culak's School was 1948-49, that summer the county school board declared the district dormant and consolidated the attendance area with MISD. In December 1950, the Moulton SPJST Lodge #184 purchased the land and former school building for $1700 and rehabilitated the building for reuse as a meeting hall and community facility. Today, Culak's is one of the few remaining rural school houses still standing in Lavaca County.
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15703.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 29° 33.607′ N, 97° 11.591′ W. Marker is near Moulton, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 532 and County Highway 290, on the right when traveling west on Highway 532. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moulton TX 77975, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Half Moon (approx. 8.6 miles away); Kaspar Wire Works (approx. 8.7 miles away); Spoetzl Brewery (approx. 8.9 miles away); Herder Half Moon Place (approx. 9.1 miles away); Sam Houston Oak (approx. 9.3 miles away); Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church (approx. 9.6 miles away); Saint Ludmila's Academy (approx. 9.7 miles away); First Methodist Church of Shiner (approx. 9.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on September 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 1, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.