Gonzales in Gonzales County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Eggleston House
The Eggleston House was one of the first houses built in Gonzales after the Runaway Scrape and burning of the town in 1836. Horace Eggleston built this house in 1848 and it was one of the first permanent type in Gonzales. The house was erected on lots nos.1 to 6, block 15 of the inner town of Gonzales which was 600 feet east of the Guadalupe River and on St. Michael Street. Walnut and Oak trees were cut from the banks of the Guadalupe River from logs with the use whipsaws and broadaxes. The timbers were cut to build the house. The whipsaw side of the timber was faced to the outside and the broadaxe side to the inside. The thickness of timbers furnished protection against the Indians and wild animals. Spaces were left between the timbers from which to fire their weapons. The house was built as it is seen today, with two rooms separated by and open space which was called a dog run. Each room was provided a fireplace. One room was used for cooking and the serving of food. The other room was used for sleeping quarters. When the family had overnight visitors which was often, one room would be used for the men and the other for
In 1954, the house was given to the city of Gonzales by Mr. and Mrs. E.E. Smith Jr. The city council employed Fred B. Miesenhelder to move the house to city property. Due to weight and condition of the house, it was necessary to disassemble all the timbers. Each timber was given a number as it was taken down and then reassembled in reverse order. Those parts which had deteriorated were replaced by new logs cut from the banks of Guadalupe River.
Erected 1962 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1405.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence.
Location. 29° 30.247′ N, 97° 26.51′ W. Marker is in Gonzales, Texas, in Gonzales County. Marker is at the intersection of St. Louis Street and Moore Street, on the right when traveling west on St. Louis Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gonzales TX 78629, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sarah Ponton Eggleston (a few steps from this marker); Gonzales Memorial Museum and Amphitheatre (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Route of Gen. Sam Houston (about 500 feet away); The Immortal 32First Baptist Church of Gonzales (approx. 0.6 miles away); Church Square (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Gonzales County Jail (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gonzales.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 2, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 2, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.