Central in Pickens County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Central History Museum
A Merchant Family's Story
The Central Heritage Society purchased the Morgan House in 1995 as headquarters for the Central History Museum. Several of the rooms are almost exactly as Jessie and Jennie Morgan left them, while others focus on Central, South Carolina history. Local artifacts include everything from textiles produced at Issaqueena Cotton Mill to the merchandise counter from the Morgan Store.
The Morgan Family
In 1885, Jeptha N. Morgan opened a merchandise store in Central and had this house build in 1893 in anticipation of his marriage. Jeptha and Minnie Morgan had two daughters, Jessie and Jennie who participated in the family business by keeping the books for the store. "Miss Jessie" and "Miss Jennie" never married and lived in the house most of their lives. Jessie occupied the house until 1994.
For over 100 years, members of the J.N. Morgan actively participated in the social, religious, and civic life of Central. Jeptha Morgan was one of the founders and President of the Bank of Central. Minnie Morgan was a founding member of the local chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The family was involved in
In addition to social activities and bookkeeping for the store, Jessie and Jennie practiced domestic arts typical of women of their era. Canning and preserving food was a family tradition, as well as sewing and knitting. A tour of their home, which still holds most of their furniture, clothing, dishes, and decorative pieces, provides a sense of what visiting with Miss Jessie and Miss Jennie must have been like. Visitors can imagine that the occupants went to town and never returned.
The lives of Jessie Morgan and Jennie Morgan reveal a bygone era, but their values and activities are still relevent. Involvement in church and school and a myriad of social activities that preserve the past and better the community are alive and well today in Central.
Erected by South Carolina Heritage Corridor.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers Women. In addition, it is included in the South Carolina Heritage Corridor, and the United Daughters of the Confederacy series lists.
Location. 34° 43.3′ N, 82° 46.783′ W. Marker is in Central, South Carolina, in Pickens County. Marker is on Church Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located on the south end of the parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 416 Church Street, Central SC 29630, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named The Central History Museum (here, next to this marker); Bertha Evans Morgan Rose Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Central (approx. ¼ mile away); Freedom's Hill Church (approx. one mile away); John C. Calhoun Memorial Highway (approx. 2.6 miles away); Keowee / John Ewing Colhoun (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Piazza (approx. 3.3 miles away); Ashtabula (approx. 3.4 miles away); Blue Key National Honor Fraternity Gateway (approx. 3.8 miles away); Calhoun - Clemson School (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Central.
Also see . . .
1. Central Heritage Society. In planning the 1993 Central Railroad (Submitted on January 22, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Morgan House. The Morgan House, constructed in 1893, is one of Central’s most important architectural and historical landmarks. (Submitted on December 27, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Morgan House - National Register Nomination Form (2001)
The Morgan House is a single-story, frame residence constructed in 1893 at what is presently 416 Church Street in Central, South Carolina. The house was originally constructed in the Queen Anne style and subsequently altered circa 1917 with Classical Revival design elements. It was built by Jeptha Norton Morgan, a prominent local merchant and banker, in anticipation of his marriage to Minnie Eugenia Morgan. The Morgan House was purchased in 1995 by the Central Heritage Society and is currently used as the Central History Museum.
The Morgan House is located on 2.775 acres on Church Street two blocks from the business district of Central. The immediate area is comprised of other historic single-family residences, historic Mt. Zion United Methodist Church, and non-historic
The Morgan House contains approximately 2,900 square feet on a single level over a crawl space. The foundation is brick and the exterior is lapped wood siding. The asymmetrical design has three bays on the front elevation with a main hipped roof complemented with porch and roof gables. Built originally in a Queen Anne gabled-ell design, the original elaborately detailed porch was altered prior to 1917 with Classical Revival detailing including Doric columns and the addition of porch gables with glass, classical motifs.
Except for the aforementioned Classical Revival modifications and the addition of a room at the rear of the house, the house
The interior is characterized by a large living room that opens into a central hall. The original floor plan was typical of a Queen Anne gabled-ell design. Adjacent to the living room is the parlor with an octagonal bay featuring large two over two paned windows. There is a distinctive fireplace mantel with a beveled glass mirror. As with all rooms in the house, there is 12" floor molding. The parlor has picture molding and bead-board walls that are presently covered with wallpaper of indeterminable age. The dining room, kitchen and one bedroom opens to the central hall. All rooms with the exception of the kitchen have thirteen-foot high ceilings. The kitchen has a dropped ceiling
The Morgan House has limited alterations with the most noticeable modifications being the front porch alterations and the partial enclosure of the rear porch that coincided with the addition of a room at the rear of the house. The front porch was originally an elaborately detailed porch in a Queen Anne design. The original front porch columns and railings were removed circa 1917 and replaced with Doric columns. The porch was further altered with the addition of gables above the porch featuring glass classical motifs within the gables. Other alterations include a dropped ceiling with acoustical ceiling tile in the kitchen and contemporary wall paneling on the rear walls of the central hall adjacent to the kitchen. Other minor alterations include a modem HVAC system, the addition of a small restroom,
A small lateral-gable frame shed with a metal roof, probably constructed early in the twentieth century, also contributes to the significance of the nominated property.
The Morgan House is one of Central's most important architectural and historical landmarks and is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places under Criteria Band C. The former single-family residence is presently the home of the Central History Museum and is an excellent example of late nineteenth century Classical Revival residential architecture. The Morgan House also is significant for its association with Jeptha Norton Morgan and his family, prominent in the growth of Central's economy. Jeptha Morgan and his family contributed greatly to the social and civic life of Central during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
The architecture of the Morgan House is significant because of its evolution from its original Queen Anne style to an early twentieth century Classical Revival architectural style. The Morgan House was constructed
Jeptha Morgan was the son of Robert Finley Morgan, a prominent property owner in Pickens and Oconee County. Robert Finley Morgan owned considerable property along the Keowee River and much of the land that later became the central business district of Central. Robert Finley Morgan had six sons and three daughters. Two of the sons, Francis Burt (F.B.) and Jeptha Norton (J.N.), settled in Central to pursue business endeavors. In 1882, Francis and Jeptha Morgan established
F.B. and J.N. Morgan's Store, a mercantile retail establishment on property located on Main Street in Central. The property was purchased by their father in 1882 from J.C. Philpot. Morgan's Store provided groceries, clothing, and general supplies to the growing community of Central. By the early 1880's, Central had become a thriving railroad village benefiting from the completion
In addition to the founding of Morgan's Store, Jeptha Morgan with his brother and three other businessmen, J.R. Falls, C.B. Smith, and T.M. Norris, founded the Bank of Central. Chartered on January 1, 1904 with deposits of $22,500, Jeptha Morgan was the first president of the bank and was later succeeded as president by his brother. The Bank of Central played an integral role with the development of Central's economy during the first three decades of the twentieth century. The Bank of Central did not survive the depression of the early 1930's. The bank had numerous loans on agricultural crops that it failed to collect during this time.
Morgan's Store did survive the Great Depression and continued to be a focal point of Central's economy as it rebounded. Located on Main
In addition to Jeptha Morgan's positions as owner of Morgan's Store and founding president and director of the Bank of Central, he also was an officer in Central's first Masonic organization, Central Masonic Lodge. Chartered on December 10,1890, this Masonic organization was founded with fourteen members and met for a period of time upstairs in Morgan's Store. A new Masonic Hall was built on Gaines Street in Central in 1964.
Jeptha Morgan's role as a banker in Central led to his selection
Following his death on September 30, 1923, Jeptha Morgan's widow, Minnie Eugenia Morgan, continued to own Morgan's Store and play an active role in Central. Minnie and Jeptha had two daughters, Jessie Norton Morgan who was born May 27, 1898, and Jennie Eugenia Morgan who was born on July 10, 1901. Jessie died on November 16, 1999, and Jennie died on May 7, 1985. Both daughters were prominent citizens of Central and became leaders of Central's first Girl Scout troop that was organized in 1942. Both daughters resided in their parents' house for most of their lives. The residence at 416 Church Street became known as the Morgan House and was acquired in 1995 by the Central Heritage Society. It is currently the Central History Museum.
— Submitted December
Credits. This page was last revised on December 14, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 22, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 965 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on January 22, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.