Wallis in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Wallis State Bank
Settlement in this area began in the late 1830s. In 1880, when the Gulf, Colorado & San Fe Railway built a spur from Galveston to Temple, circumventing Houston, the community became known as Wallis Station and later Wallis, after a rail company executive. As the population grew with new residents and businesses, the community's need for a bank became apparent. In January 1906, with a capital investment of $10,000, D.N. Harris, F.D. Brandt, J.H. Thompson, R.W. Thompson, J.F. Walters, L. Tillotson and W.A. Matthaei established the Wallis State Bank. Harris served as the bank's first president, Matthaei as secretary and O.R. Prouty as first Cashier.
The bank began its operation at this site, and in 1912, the company constructed a two-story brick building to replace the original small frame structure. The board of directors leased portions of the second floor to the justice of the peace and a masonic lodge. In 1918, the local economy justified the creation of a second bank, known as the Guaranty State Bank of Wallis. It merged with Wallis State Bank in 1927.
In the late 20th and early 21st centuries, Wallis State Bank expanded
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13587.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1906.
Location. 29° 37.891′ N, 96° 3.81′ W. Marker is in Wallis, Texas, in Austin County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 1093 and Railroad Street, on the right when traveling west on Highway 1093. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wallis TX 77485, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wallis Methodist Church (approx. Ό mile away); Wallis High School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wallis Independent (approx. 0.4 miles away); J.O. Williams School (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Paul Lutheran Church (approx. half a mile away); Wallis Memorial Nature ParkGuardian Angel Catholic Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); William Henry & Lydia Ann English Guyler (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wallis.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 110 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 3, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. 2. submitted on March 12, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. 3. submitted on September 3, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.