Near Hondo in Medina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Southern Pacific Depot
The first rail line reached this area in 1881 and town lots were sold that year for Hondo City. The line was built by the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway. It connected with the Southern Pacific System building east from California. The railroad was vital to the early growth of Hondo, but rail traffic began to decline in the 1940s. The last passenger train, pulled by engine No. 6, left the Hondo Station on June 8, 1958. The Southern Pacific Depot was moved to the present location in 1970 from the original site, seventeen blocks east.
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4988.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 29° 20.824′ N, 99° 9.199′ W. Marker is near Hondo, Texas, in Medina County. Marker is at the intersection of 18th Street and Avenue X on 18th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2202 Eighteenth Street, Hondo TX 78861, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Leinweber Building (approx. 0.7 miles away); Hondo Medina County Courthouse (approx. ¾ mile away); Stephen F. Austin Memorial Oak Tree (approx. ¾ mile away); Fohn-Bless Store (approx. 0.8 miles away); Old Medina County Jail (approx. 0.8 miles away); Hondo Methodist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); Saint John The Evangelist Catholic Church (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hondo.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 50 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 3, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.