Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Presque Isle in Presque Isle County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

1896 Lansing City Hall Bell

 
 
1896 Lansing City Hall Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 23, 2018
1. 1896 Lansing City Hall Bell Marker
Inscription.  The Bronze Bell was taken from the old Lansing City Hall clock tower when the building was torn down in 1959… It weighs 3425 lbs. 60% heavier than the Liberty Bell.... It was cast in 1896.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: CommunicationsGovernment & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells 🔔 series list.
 
Location. 45° 20.519′ N, 83° 28.687′ W. Marker is in Presque Isle, Michigan, in Presque Isle County. Marker can be reached from East Grand Lake Road 0.7 miles north of Range Light Road, on the right when traveling north. Marker and bell are located at the Old Presque Isle Lighthouse historical site, just east of the lighthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5295 East Grand Lake Road, Presque Isle MI 49777, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Presque Isle Lighthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Presque Isle Front Range Light (approx. 0.7 miles away); Burnham's Landing (approx. 0.9 miles away); Presque Isle Light Station
1896 Lansing City Hall Bell image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 23, 2018
2. 1896 Lansing City Hall Bell
(approx. 1.2 miles away); John Kauffman / John Kauffman House (approx. 2.6 miles away); Presque Isle Lodge (approx. 2.8 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Lansing City Hall, 1897-1959. (post card image of 1896 Lansing City Hall with Clock Tower) (Submitted on September 3, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. Century tower clock (Wikipedia). Century tower clocks were tower clocks manufactured by Nels Johnson. They were "clocks built to last a century," hence the name "Century" tower clocks. These tower clocks were mostly produced from 1880 to 1910. Johnson designed and manufactured these tower clocks at his machine shop in Manistee, Michigan. He built the clocks by himself and had no employees. Johnson made about 50 to 60 tower clocks, including one for the 1896 Lansing City Hall clock tower which housed this bell. (Submitted on September 3, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 3, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 27, 2021