Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Named for the family of James and Mary Rylie, who came to Texas from Illinois about 1846, Rylie Prairie was a thriving community in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. A post office opened in 1883, and in 1884 streets were platted near the route of the Texas Trunk Railroad. At its height, the community included homes, churches, a school, and businesses including a cotton gin, grist mill, and general stores. The town began to decline in the 1930s and 1940s after the railroad discontinued service and people moved closer to Dallas and the new highway system.
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6854.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 41.489′ N, 96° 38.336′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on Haymarket Road, on the right when traveling north. The marker is on Haymarket Road between Cade Road and Tumbleweed Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Haymarket Road, Dallas TX 75217, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Rylie Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Kleberg (approx. 2.1 miles away); Pleasant Grove Christian Church (approx. 3.8 miles away); Albert Carver Cemetery (approx. 4 miles away); Dawdy's Ferry (approx. 4 miles away); Abraham Carver Cemetery (approx. 4½ miles away); Pleasant Mound Methodist Church (approx. 4.6 miles away); Seagoville Enemy Alien Detention Station, World War II (approx. 4.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 6, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.