Delmont in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Meaning a valley
in the hillsFounded
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Keystone Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1814.
Location. 40° 24.633′ N, 79° 34.311′ W. Marker is in Delmont, Pennsylvania, in Westmoreland County. Marker is on Greensburg Street just north of Crest Drive, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located directly in front of the Delmont Police Station/Public Library building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 77 Greensburg Street, Delmont PA 15626, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. New Salem Borough 100th Anniversary (here, next to this marker); Bushy Run (approx. ¼ mile away); Fairview Park (approx. 1.1 miles away); Pontiac's War (approx. 4.6 miles away); Welcome to Bushy Run Battlefield (approx. 4.7 miles away); Ambush (approx. 4.7 miles away); Bushy Run Battlefield (approx. 4.7 miles away); Forbes Road (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delmont.
Also see . . . Delmont, Pennsylvania (Wikipedia). Delmont was initially known as New Salem. In 1814, 48 lots were auctioned off to form a "crossroads" town. As the area developed, the town was referred to locally as "Salem Crossroads." The town and the post office carried two different names until May 16, 1967, when residents voted to change the borough's name to Delmont. (Submitted on September 8, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 174 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 8, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.