Paris in Henry County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Built by Barton Lasater in 1920. Purchased 1923 by Sidney Mandle, owner of Kentucky/Tennessee Clay Company. Bricks made in Puryear from Henry County clay. Remodeled and expanded in 1933 to a Colonial design with Georgian Revival influence including a third floor ballroom, five bedrooms and a four-car garage. Cherry and walnut wood work by master craftsman Clem Krider. Michigan slate floor and fireplace in the den. Dining room mural painted in 1934 from early 1800's French wallpaper design, servant call buttons throughout the house. During WWII, temporary residence of General John Maynard, commander of Camp Tyson Barrage Balloon Training Base.
Purchased in 1998 by Ray and Noragene Harding.
Erected 2015 by Captain Charles Barham Chapter, National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames XVII Century, National Society series list.
Location. 36° 17.931′ N, 88° 19.084′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 505 Walnut Street, Paris TN 38242, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gov. James D. Porter Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Edwin Wiley Grove (approx. 0.4 miles away); James Davis Porter (approx. 0.4 miles away); Paris City Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Slave (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Wesley Crockett (approx. 0.4 miles away); David Edward Jackson (approx. 0.4 miles away); John DeWitt Clinton Atkins (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 9, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 62 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 9, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.