Near D'Hanis in Medina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Town of D'Hanis
Now Known as Old D'Hanis
Established in 1847 by 29 families under the leadership of Theodore Gentilz, representing Henri Castro (1781...1861), distinguished pioneer and colonizer of Texas who introduced the early settlers of Medina County. Named in honor of Guillaume (William) D'Hanis manager of the Colonization Society. When the Southern Pacific Railroad missed the town, its citizens moved to present D'Hanis.
Erected by the State of Texas 1936
Erected 1936 by The State of Texas. (Marker Number 5526.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
Location. 29° 19.659′ N, 99° 15.561′ W. Marker is near D'Hanis, Texas, in Medina County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road 5226 (County Highway 5226) and Highway 5231, on the left when traveling south on County Road 5226. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hondo TX 78861, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow fliesSite of Saint Dominic Catholic Church and Cemetery (a few steps from this marker); J.M. Koch's Hotel (approx. 1.2 miles away); D'Hanis (approx. 1.3 miles away); Richarz Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Fort Lincoln (approx. 2.6 miles away); Southern Pacific Depot (approx. 6˝ miles away); Mission Valley (approx. 7 miles away); Leinweber Building (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in D'Hanis.
Also see . . . D'Hanis History. TexasEscapes.com (Submitted on September 11, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 11, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.