Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Lincoln High School
In 1937, the Dallas school board appointed a building committee to find land for a new high school for African Americans. The committee chose eleven acres at this location. Lincoln High School was one of the largest campuses in the city, with twenty classrooms, chemistry and physics laboratories, auditorium, cafeteria, and library in the main building. A federal Public Works Administration grant paid for nearly half of the construction cost.
In January 1939, Lincoln High School opened its doors for the first time with 1,255 students and 31 teachers. Because of extreme overcrowding, many of these students had come from the only previous school for Blacks, Booker T. Washington (5 mi. N). Tueria Dell Marshall (1883-1960), the first principal at the new school, served for 16 years and saw the enrollment surge to more than 3,000. Marshall, credited with bringing his students quality academic training, is buried in the historic L. Butler Nelson Cemetery adjacent to his beloved school. Attendance at Lincoln declined during an incremental desegregation plan from 1960 to 1971, and new schools also trimmed enrollment. Lincoln has many distinguished
Dallas architect Walter C. Sharp, responsible for several schools in Arlington, Dallas and Tyler, designed Lincoln High School, and Dolph-Bateson Construction Company served as contractor. Sharp's Moderne architecture design, with window repetition and a cantilevered entry canopy emphasized the horizontal direction. The vertical massing and tower with glass bricks at the entrance made the building a landmark in the neighborhood.
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13599.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Architecture • Education.
Location. 32° 45.288′ N, 96° 45.056′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on South Malcolm X Boulevard, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5000 S Malcolm X Boulevard, Dallas TX 75215, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tueria Dell Marshall (approx. 0.2 miles away); L. Butler Nelson Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); John C. McCoy (approx. 0.7 miles away); Richard M. Gano, CSA (approx. 0.7 miles away); Juanita Craft House South Boulevard-Park Row Historic District (approx. 1˝ miles away); WRR Radio (approx. 1.6 miles away); Fabulous Quarter Horse Steel Dust (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 12, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 12, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.