Harper in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. James Lutheran Church
The first Lutheran congregation officially organized on Mar. 9, 1913, led by Rev. B. Schliefer. Mrs. Sophie Klein donated half of her lot on Main Street, at the corner of what is now 4th Street, for the building of a church. The name St. James was decided on at a meeting on Jan. 11, 1914. The church was built in the shape of a cross and its steeple was in the form of traditional German churches. At the time, it was Harper's largest church building. The dedication service was on Jul. 26, 1914. Until 1918, the German language was used exclusively in the church. Over time, additional land has been purchased, annexes built, and remodeling done. In 1943, the constitution was revised and the church became affiliated with
The church has been a leading part of the community. It has organized a Women's Society, Young People's Group, Vacation Bible School and Sunday School. It has also hosted a revival-type event called Brush Arbor Days and raised funds for the community help center. The church has hosted many celebrations from baptisms, confirmations, weddings and burials, to the ordination of pastors, holding of reunions and school functions.
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16975.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is July 26, 1914.
Location. 30° 18.016′ N, 99° 15.398′ W. Marker is in Harper, Texas, in Gillespie County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 290 and 4th Street, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 290. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23932 US-290, Harper TX 78631, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Harper Community Park (approx. half a mile away); Site of the McDonald Massacre (approx. half a mile away); Harper Independent School DistrictThe Dowdy Tragedy of 1878 (approx. 11.3 miles away); Sunset Cemetery (approx. 11½ miles away); Spanish Road to Santa Fe, 1808 (approx. 11.9 miles away); St. Peter Lutheran Church (approx. 12½ miles away); Squaw Creek Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 12.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harper.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 15, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 93 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 17, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.