Hanceville in Cullman County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
History of a Name
Old Indian trails leading to the Mulberry River were still fresh when a few dirt farmers began to settle just west of what is now Hanceville. From the beginning a steady stream of settlers, many of whom were German and Irish refugees, was attracted to the new settlement. The L&N Railroad Company constructed a railroad across Cullman County with the link connecting Cullman and Hanceville being completed around 1873. Within two months after the coming of the railroad, Mr. P.H. Kinney was instrumental in forming the nucleus of a hew town through the establishment of a new post office some miles south of Holmes Gap, originally christened with the name of Gilmer. Kinney, the first postmaster, changed the name of the town by order of the U.S. Postal Service because there was already a town named Gilmer in the state. Mr. Kinney honored his father, Hance Kinney, by naming the town for him.
Hanceville's rapid population growth and prosperity made it a leading contender to capture the position of county seat. Unfortunately through the urging of a Cullman delegation, the Alabama Legislature ordered that the
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and City of Hanceville.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is May 28, 1879.
Location. 34° 3.638′ N, 86° 46.205′ W. Marker is in Hanceville, Alabama, in Cullman County. Marker is on Main Street Northeast (U.S. 31) south of Arkadelphia Road (State Route 91), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hanceville AL 35077, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. General Forrest’s (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Little School House (approx. 3.4 miles away); Bent But Not Broken (approx. 7.8 miles away); Colonel John G. CullmannThe Ave Maria Grotto (approx. 8˝ miles away); St. John’s Evangelical Protestant Church (approx. 8.7 miles away); Sand Mountain Plateau (approx. 8.8 miles away); Weiss Cottage (approx. 8.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hanceville.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 18, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 359 times since then and 117 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 18, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.