Alamo Plaza in San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Alamo / El Alamo
Mission San Antonio de Valero - famed as The Alamo - founded 1718 by Spanish Missionaries. Secularized 1793. Garrison for Spanish Cavalry and Flying Company of San Carlos de Parras y Alamo. Between February 23 and March 6, 1836, gallant Texans, greatly outnumbered by General Santa Anna's Army defended the sprawling compound to the death. The Battle of The Alamo stands as a symbol of freedom throughout the world. The Alamo Chapel and convent, later the Long Barracks, remain and are owned by the State of Texas and are under the custody of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. National, State and City Landmark.
Misión San Antonio de Valero – conocido por El Alamo – fundada 1718 por Misioneros Españoles. Seculada 1793. Guarnación por Calvario Español y Companía Voladora de San Carlos de Parras y Alamo. Entre Febrero 23 y Marzo 6, 1836, Tejanos galantes, sobrepasados por el Gobierno del General Santa Anna, defendieron el compuesto hasta la muerte. La Batalla del Alamo representa un símbolo de libertad sobre todo el mundo. La Capilla del Alamo
Erected by City of San Antonio.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Forts and Castles • War, Texas Independence. A significant historical year for this entry is 1718.
Location. 29° 25.528′ N, 98° 29.223′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. It is in Alamo Plaza. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Alamo Plaza and East Crockett Street. Located on the sidewalk across the street from The Alamo. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of the Alamo (a few steps from this marker); Defender of the Alamo (a few steps from this marker); Southwestern Room (within shouting distance of this marker); The Alamo in 1836 (within shouting distance of this marker); Alamo Low Barracks and Main Gateway (within shouting distance of this marker); Mission San Antonio de Valero Indian Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Alamo in 1836 The Alamo in 1836 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Regarding The Alamo / El Alamo. The marker states in Spanish and English that the Alamo is maintained by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas:
“bajo en cuidado de las Hijas de la Republica de Tejas”
“under the custody of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas."
“under the care of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas.”
That is no longer true. The DRT has been removed from any responsibility for maintenance of the Alamo by the State of Texas. See:
"The state of Texas is making a major change to the management of the iconic landmark the Alamo. The General Land Office is ending its contract with the Daughters of the Republic of Texas to run the Shrine of Texas Liberty."
"Although the DRT will continue operating a research center and conducting programs on the hallowed Alamo grounds, its custodial contract with the state ends at 5 p.m. Friday."
"The Alamo Complex is owned by the state through GLO, while Alamo Street and Alamo Plaza – the 1836 Battlefield – are owned by the city. The 84th Texas Legislature passed HB 2968, under which the GLO and San Antonio entered into a memorandum of understanding to work cooperatively for the betterment of the Alamo. In April 2015, the GLO and the City of San Antonio signed a cooperative agreement to ensure a bright future for the Alamo. This cooperative agreement teams the state with the Alamo City in unprecedented partnership."
Also see . . . Daughters of the Republic of Texas. (Submitted on October 9, 2020, by Frederick Bothwell of Georgetown, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2023. It was originally submitted on October 26, 2014. This page has been viewed 1,663 times since then and 143 times this year. Last updated on September 24, 2020, by Frederick Bothwell of Georgetown, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 26, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.