Near Richmond in Fort Bend County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Born in the Natchez District of Spanish West Florida on March 12, 1790, Randolph Foster was the son of John and Rachel (Gibson) Foster. After service in Captain Randal Jones' Company during the War of 1812, Randolph hunted and explored throughout what was then the southwest, including stops in this part of Texas. When he heard that Moses Austin had permission to settle 300 families in Texas, he headed back to the area.
Foster arrived in Texas with Stephen F. Austin in 1821 as an "Old Three Hundred" colonist. In 1824, he received title to 4,400 acres in present-day Fort Bend and Waller Counties. He served as an Indian scout for the colony. In 1829, he married Lucy Ruffin Hunter (1804-1872). They made their home on the John Foster Grant and had seven children.
During the War for Texas' Independence from Mexico in 1836, Foster helped procure munitions for the Texian army, then joined Captain Wyly Martin's Company. In April 1836, when Santa Anna and his vanguard troops sought to cross the Brazos at present-day Richmond, Foster and his outnumbered comrades delayed them long enough to prevent them from reaching Harrisburg
A prominent planter and rancher, Foster signed the petition to create Fort Bend County and supported the Foster Community School. In 1856, he was appointed a trustee of the Frost Institute, a private school, by the Texas Legislature. He died at the home of one of his daughters, near the later established Foster Community, on August 18, 1878.
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12725.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 • War, Texas Independence. A significant historical date for this entry is March 12, 1790.
Location. 29° 37.634′ N, 95° 48.658′ W. Marker is near Richmond, Texas, in Fort Bend County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 723, 0.1 miles south of Farm to Market Road 359, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4400 FM 723, Richmond TX 77406, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Foster (a few steps from this marker); Foster Community (approx. 1.4 miles away); Site of Thompson's Ferry (approx. 2.4 miles away); John Foster Land Grant (approx. 2.7 miles away); John McNabb (approx. 4 miles away); Thomas Jefferson Smith Morton Cemetery (approx. 4 miles away); Walter Moses Burton (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Also see . . . Randolph Foster. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on September 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 102 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.