Perryville in Perry County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
Perry County Court House
Erected 1936 by Arkansas Centennial Commission, Arkansas History Commission. (Marker Number D-14.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Arkansas Centennial Commission series list.
Location. 35° 0.298′ N, 92° 48.182′ W. Marker is in Perryville, Arkansas, in Perry County. Marker is on West Main Street west of North Pine Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located beside the walkway, directly in front of the Perry County court house. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 310 West Main Street, Perryville AR 72126, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 13 miles of this markerPerry County in the Civil War (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Perryville (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Conway County in the Civil War / Murder of John Clayton (approx. 13 miles away).
Regarding Perry County Court House. National Register of Historic Places #76000443.
Also see . . .
1. Perry County Court House (Wikipedia). The Perry County Courthouse is a two-story brick building, with a hip roof. It is very simply styled, with rectangular two-over-two windows set in unadorned openings (some in pairs). Its main entrance is deeply recessed in an opening framed by pilasters and an entablatured, with multi-light sidelight windows to either side of the door. It has been enlarged by single-story wings to either side. (Submitted on September 27, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Perryville, Arkansas (Wikipedia). The original log courthouse was burned during a dispute between two families. Another log courthouse was built on the site. In 1872, a wood-framed courthouse was built a half mile from the older log courthouse on donated land. It burned in May 1874 and was rebuilt. It burned again in December 1881 and was again rebuilt. Perry County's current courthouse was built in 1888 for $4,000. (Submitted on September 27, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. National Register of Historic Places Nomination. (Submitted on September 27, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 26, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 27, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.