Chappell Hill in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Chappell Hill College
Established in 1852 by the Methodist Church as Chappell Hill Male and Female Institute · After Soule University for Boys was established in 1856, Chappell Hill College was a School for Girls · Existed until 1912.
Erected by the State of Texas 1936
Erected 1936 by The State of Texas. (Marker Number 8320.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1852.
Location. 30° 8.465′ N, 96° 15.178′ W. Marker is in Chappell Hill, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Poplar Street and Church Street, on the right when traveling east on Poplar Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9220 Poplar Street, Chappell Hill TX 77426, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chappell Hill Female College Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Providence Baptist ChurchOld Rock Store (approx. ¼ mile away); Farmers State Bank and Reinstein Store (approx. ¼ mile away); Chappell Hill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Soule University for Boys (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lockhart Plantation (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chappell Hill.
Also see . . . Chappell Hill Female College. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on September 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 79 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.