Fort Smith in Sebastian County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
A Building Worth Saving
Fort Smith National Historic Site
— National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
Over the years, the building has served many purposes including a barracks for troops, federal court offices, a private residence, and the city's first museum of history. Today the Commissary stands as a testament of the public's dedication to preserving history.
The Commissary would have been demolished in 1909 had a local group of women not intervened. They successfully persuaded city leaders and citizens to rescue the building.
Is there a building in your community worth saving?
Erected by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1846.
Location. 35° 23.374′ N, 94° 25.785′ W. Marker is in Fort Smith, Arkansas Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Garrison Avenue, Fort Smith AR 72901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Frisco Train Depot (here, next to this marker); Old Commissary (within shouting distance of this marker); The Parade Grounds (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bastion That Never Was (within shouting distance of this marker); The Guardhouse, 1849-1871 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Women’s Jail, 1872-1888 (within shouting distance of this marker); Deputy U.S. Marshal Bass Reeves (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Officer’s Garden (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Smith.
Also see . . .
1. Commissary: Old Fort Museum. At the end of the 19th century the Commissary was sold to a private owner. In 1910, a ladies' group acted to save the Commissary as a place to preserve the community's heritage. The Old Commissary Museum (later known as the Old Fort Museum) occupied the building for nearly 70 years, longer than either the army or the federal court. (Submitted on September 30, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Commissary. In 1845 Quartermaster General Thomas Jesup inspected Fort Smith and ordered the wall bastion be converted into a commissary depot. General Jesup’s intervention led to Fort Smith’s continued growth by shifting the mission of the post from defense to supply. Over the years the Commissary's appearance and use changed dramatically. The building held supplies used by explorers and soldiers, played a crucial role in two wars, and the second floor served as an office for Federal Judge Isaac C. Parker. (Submitted on September 30, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 28, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 155 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 30, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.