West Palm Beach in Palm Beach County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Dade County State Bank Building
Dedicated to the City of West Palm Beach through the West Palm Beach Bicentennial Committee in 1976 by Mrs. Crystal Eggert in memory of her late husband Johnny
Erected 1976 by West Palm Beach Bicentennial Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1976.
Location. 26° 43.017′ N, 80° 3.048′ W. Marker is in West Palm Beach, Florida, in Palm Beach County. Marker is on Flagler Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501A Flagler Drive, West Palm Beach FL 33401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. West Palm Beach Fishing Club (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old St. Ann's Church (about 600 feet away); 1916 Palm Beach County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Former State of Florida Board of Health Laboratory (approx. ¼ mile away); Flagler Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Flagler Memorial Bridge (approx. Sea Gull Cottage (approx. 0.6 miles away); Royal Poinciana Hotel (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Palm Beach.
Regarding Dade County State Bank Building. The one-story, 584-square-foot building was constructed for the Dade County Bank in Jupiter Island in 1893, when Palm Beach County was part of Dade County. It was floated on a raft to the Town of Palm Beach, then in 1897, it was floated to the mainland and moved to 223 Clematis Street, at the corner of Olive Avenue, when the city of West Palm Beach was just 2-and-a-half years old. It housed a barbershop in 1903, a dentist’s office in 1908, and a real estate office in 1913. In 1915, it was moved to 112 Myrtle St., now the south fork of Clematis Street, a few blocks closer to the waterfront., In 1920, it housed a beauty shop. In 1935, it began a 40-year run as Johnny’s Playland, a novelty and trick shop, next door to where the E.R. Bradley’s Saloon now stands.
In 1976, owner Johnny Eggert’s widow, Crystal Eggert, donated the building to the City of West Palm Beach. It moved to its current sot at 501A N. Flagler Dr., the following year, across the street from the Chamber of Commerce of the Palm Beaches.
Since 1980, the city’s tenant has been used as a museum for Palm Beach High School memorabilia, from yearbooks to trophies and tributes to illustrious alumni, from the days before the county’s first high school became the Dreyfoos School of the Arts in 1989.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 28, 2020, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 142 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 28, 2020, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.