Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Anahuac in Chambers County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Chambers County Courthouse

 
 
Chambers County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, October 4, 2020
1. Chambers County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  Named after Texas pioneer Major General Thomas Jefferson Chambers, Chambers County was established in 1858. Until the early 20th century, Wallisville was the county seat and the location for the first three Chambers County courthouses. They were built in 1858, 1880 and 1887. Anahuac's rice canal system and the presence of wild hogs at Wallisville's courthouse prompted an election in 1907 that made Anahuac the county seat in 1908.

After the election, the county constructed a new courthouse completed in 1912 at this location, the courthouse included a jail, indoor plumbing, telephones, electric lights and an outdoor bathroom for African Americans. The courthouse was built in the Renaissance Revival style, featuring large columns and a stone exterior. The building, however, burned down on April 28, 1935.

In 1935, County Treasurer Grover C. Willcox desired a modern courthouse "in line with the growth of the town." As a part of Federal New Deal programs, the Public Works Administration contributed funds for a new courthouse. Designed by Corneil G. Curtis and built by notable contractor Robert E. McKee, construction finished in
Chambers County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, October 4, 2020
2. Chambers County Courthouse Marker
May 1937 on the three-story, ashlar limestone building. A combination of Art Deco and Moderne architectural styles (1920s-1940s), the courthouse's exterior showcases vertical lines, a symmetrical façade, geometrical shapes and simple ornamentation. Since its construction, little has changed about the county courthouse. Throughout its history, the Chambers County courthouse has not only acted as a focal point of the community but has also reflected the county's economic, political and social history.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2018

 
Erected 2018 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 20094.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
 
Location. 29° 46.163′ N, 94° 41.068′ W. Marker is in Anahuac, Texas, in Chambers County. Marker is on Washington Avenue (State Highway 61) south of North Court Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 404 Washington Avenue, Anahuac TX 77514, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Dr. N.T. Schilling Medical Office (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chambersea (about 600 feet away); Home of Thomas Jefferson Chambers (about 600 feet away); Lone Star Canal
Chambers County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, October 4, 2020
3. Chambers County Courthouse
(approx. ¼ mile away); Events at Anahuac Leading to the Texas Revolution (approx. 0.3 miles away); Chambers County (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Anahuac (approx. 0.9 miles away); Juan Davis Bradburn (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anahuac.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 6, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 8, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.
Paid Advertisement
Oct. 19, 2020