Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tallahassee in Leon County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

West Campus of the Florida State University-Tallahassee Branch the University of Florida

 
 
West Campus of the Florida State University-Tallahassee Branch the University of Florida Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, August 3, 2014
1. West Campus of the Florida State University-Tallahassee Branch the University of Florida Marker
Inscription.  After World War II, many veterans returning to Florida sought a college education through the GI Bill. The all-male University of Florida (UF) experienced record enrollment as thousands of veterans applied to the university. Unable to accommodate all the students, UF asked the veterans if some would be willing to attend the Florida State College for Women (FSCW) in Tallahassee. In September 1946, the Florida Legislature authorized the opening of the Tallahassee Branch of the University of Florida (TBUF). This was the first time male students attended FSCW since the school became a women's institution in 1905. To house the more than 500 male students, FSCW purchased land and buildings west of the main campus. This area had been the location of Dale Mabry Field, the city's first airport and a World War II Army Air Corp truing field. Former barracks and officers' headquarters were converted into student housing, classrooms, and other administrative buildings for the expanded campus. One year later, FSCW became the coeducational Florida State University (FSU), which continued to use the "West Campus" to accommodate the university's students.
 
Erected
West Campus of the Florida State University-Tallahassee Branch the University of Florida Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, August 3, 2014
2. West Campus of the Florida State University-Tallahassee Branch the University of Florida Marker
Taken from marker to intersection.
Click or scan to see
this page online
2012 by The Florida State University Emeritus Alumni Society and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-744.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1946.
 
Location. 30° 25.704′ N, 84° 20.14′ W. Marker is in Tallahassee, Florida, in Leon County. Marker is at the intersection of Eisenhower Street and Van Fleet Street, on the left when traveling north on Eisenhower Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tallahassee FL 32310, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dale Mabry Field (approx. 0.9 miles away); Bellevue (approx. 1.3 miles away); Mission San Luis (approx. 1.7 miles away); Bernard F. Sliger / Doak Sheridan Campbell (approx. 2 miles away); Sir Harold W. Kroto (approx. 2.2 miles away); James M. Buchanan (approx. 2.2 miles away); Dr. John Gorrie (approx. 2.2 miles away); John Robert Schrieffer (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tallahassee.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 7, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 70 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 7, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A view of the marker and the surrounding area. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=157515

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 23, 2022