Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Pierre in Hughes County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

The Old Hughes County Court House

South Dakota's Temporary Capitol

 
 
The Old Hughes County Court House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, June 25, 2013
1. The Old Hughes County Court House Marker
Inscription.  The Old Hughes County Courthouse—South Dakota’s Temporary Capitol The old Hughes County Courthouse, shown at left, was erected in 1883 and served an important role in the formation of the new South Dakota government in 1889. It was replaced in 1934 with the present Courthouse on this same location.
To the right is the large 1883 cement nameplate which was taken from the front of the old Courthouse and placed on the wall as a remberance.
In the October 1, 1889 election, South Dakota approved the State Constitution and picked Pierre as they temporary Capital. The old Courthouse served as the temporary Capitol building until January 7, 1890 when the old wooden State Capitol was completed on the south west corner of the Capitol grounds.
The following historic events occurred in and around the old Hughes County Courthouse.

1. The first House of Representatives met in the courtroom during a three day Legislative Session on October 15, 16, 17 1889. The first Senate met in the Congregational Church which at the time was located across the street south of here on the corner of Pierre Street and Capitol Avenue.
2.
The Old Hughes County Court House image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, June 25, 2013
2. The Old Hughes County Court House
On October 15, 1889 newly elected Governor Mellette, the new state constitutional officers, and the first Judges of the Supreme and Circuit Courts assembled on the south front veranda of the Courthouse where Territorial Chief Justice Bartlett Tripp administered the oath of office. The first House and Senate members and the public witnessed the ceremony.
3, The first Governor, A.C. Mellette, and the constitutional officers had their offices in thee Old Courthouse until the wooden State Capitol building was completed.
4. The first South Dakota Supreme Court had their offices here and held session in the courtroom for more than a year until they moved into the old State Capitol.
 
Erected 1986 by Hughes County Commission and Pierre Historical Society Inc.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
 
Location. 44° 22.154′ N, 100° 21.058′ W. Marker is in Pierre, South Dakota, in Hughes County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East Capitol Avenue and S. Pierre Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is in the lobby of the Hughes County Court House. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 East Capitol Avenue, Pierre SD 57501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First and Only Hanging in Hughes County (here, next to this marker); Hughes County Courthouse / Site of First Library in Pierre
Cement Nameplate image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, June 25, 2013
3. Cement Nameplate
(within shouting distance of this marker); Charles Hyde's Legacy (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Sutherland and the Capital Fights (about 500 feet away); Combat Wounded Veterans (approx. ¼ mile away); Dedicated to You, A Free Citizen in a Free Land (approx. ¼ mile away); South Dakota State Capitol (approx. ¼ mile away); Soldiers' & Sailors' World War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pierre.
 
Hughes County Court House Today image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, January 7, 2007
4. Hughes County Court House Today
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 7, 2020, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 7, 2020, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.   3, 4. submitted on October 8, 2020, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.
Paid Advertisement
Oct. 25, 2020