Greenville in Washington County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Hebrew Union Congregation
Organized 1880, succeeding a congregation formed 1871. Once the state's largest Jewish temple. Two of Greenville's early mayors, the first merchant, public officials, leaders in literature, education, business, law, and civic affairs worshipped here. Replacing a wooden temple built 1882, the present temple was built in 1906.
Erected 1999 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list.
Location. 33° 24.586′ N, 91° 3.654′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Mississippi, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and South Hinds Street on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 504 Main St, Greenville MS 38701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Greenville's WritersFirst United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); Prince McCoy (about 700 feet away); First National Bank Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); NRP Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Greenville Trolley System (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 8, 2020, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 8, 2020, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.