Bellville in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Harigel House
The son of a Prussian immigrant, Emil H. Harigel, Sr. (1859-1904) opened a hardware, tinware, and stove emporium in Bellville in 1881. Soon after, he constructed this residence for his wife, Nannie Louise (Lovette), and children. The home features a Mansard roof and influences of the Gothic Revival and Second Empire styles of architecture. Harigel family descendants have owned the house for over a century.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1984
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission - Official Historical Medallion. (Marker Number 2378.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 56.937′ N, 96° 15.461′ W. Marker is in Bellville, Texas, in Austin County. Marker is at the intersection of South Bell Street and West Luhn Street, on the left when traveling north on South Bell Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bellville TX 77418, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Austin County Jail (within shouting distance of this Bellville (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First National Bank of Bellville (about 600 feet away); Early History of Bellville Methodist Church (about 800 feet away); E.O. Finn Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of First Bellville Masonic Lodge Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Original Site of St. Mary's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bellville General Hospital (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bellville.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 9, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 9, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.