Near Richmond in Fort Bend County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Foster Community began in the fall of 1821 as a permanent campsite settled by Randolph Foster (1790-1887) on what was then one of the largest single land grants in Texas (11,601 acres). The John Foster grant, deeded by Stephen F. Austin, came from the relationship between Foster, his father John (1757-1837) and Austin. John was one of Austin's "Old Three Hundred Colonists, and Foster family members participated in the Texas War for Independence.
Sugar cane was the area's dominant industry in the 1840s and Foster community thrived from its production and export. Other crops that benefited the community included pecans and cotton. Local residents tamed wild horses found on the upland prairies for domestic use and trade.
The community's first school, which offered up to grade five, was held in Randolph Foster's home before construction of a one-room schoolhouse also used for early community religious services. African American students studied at Jones Creek school. The community's first post office initiated mail service from the area's general store in 1882.
The volume of local sugar production was so great
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13291.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 38.508′ N, 95° 49.678′ W. Marker is near Richmond, Texas, in Fort Bend County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 359 0.1 miles south of Foster Creek Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond TX 77406, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Foster Land Grant (approx. 1.3 miles away); John Foster (approx. 1.4 miles away); Randolph Foster (approx. 1.4 miles away); Pleasant Hill Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away); Site of Thompson's Ferry (approx. 3.9 miles away); John McNabb (approx. 5.4 miles away); Town of Fulshear (approx. 5˝ miles away); Thomas Jefferson Smith (approx. 5˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Also see . . .
1. Randolph Foster. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on October 11, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
2. Foster Texas. Wikipedia (Submitted on October 11, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 11, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 11, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.