Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Houston Heights City Hall and Fire Station
When the former City Hall burned in 1912, Houston Heights Mayor J. B. Marmion and the City Council commissioned Houston Architect A. C. Pigg to design a new building to house city offices and also serve as a Fire Station and small jail. Completed in 1914, the City Hall and Fire Station served its intended purpose only until 1918, when the City of Houston annexed Houston Heights. The building, which features decorative brick and cast stone work, then became Station No. 14 for the Houston Fire Department and remained active until 1995. A neighborhood landmark, the historic building continues in use as a community gathering place.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12807.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture.
Location. 29° 47.555′ N, 95° 23.918′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of West 12th Street and Yale Street, on the left when travelingTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 West 12th Street, Houston TX 77008, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grace United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Heights Church of Christ (approx. half a mile away); Reagan Masonic Lodge No. 1037 A.F. & A.M. (approx. half a mile away); David Barker House (approx. half a mile away); Daniel Denton Cooley (approx. 0.7 miles away); Houston Heights Woman's Club (approx. 0.8 miles away); Houston Heights (approx. 1.1 miles away); Olivewood Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Also see . . . Houston Heights. Wikipedia (Submitted on October 12, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 12, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 12, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.