Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Sanger Brothers Department Store
The first Sanger Brothers Department Store in Dallas opened in 1872 in rented space on the courthouse square. Earliest Sanger Bros. stores in railroad towns such as Bryan, Calvert, and Corsicana soon were closed. In Dallas the five German Sanger brothers, Isaac, Lehman, Philip, Alex, and Sam, became nationally recognized for their progressive marketing techniques. Sanger Bros. offered free home delivery by 1879. The Dallas store, which had expanded to this site by 1873 and remained here until 1965, became one of the city's first telephone and electric lighting customers.
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6875.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 32° 46.809′ N, 96° 48.284′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of Elm Street and North Lamar Street, on the left when traveling west on Elm Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 796 Elm Street, Dallas TX 75202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this markerDallas County (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Log Cabin Pioneers of Dallas County (about 700 feet away); John F. Kennedy Memorial Plaza (about 700 feet away); Dallas County Records Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Higginbotham-Bailey Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Juries to Sit Women in Dallas County (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Red Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Women's Suffrage in Dallas County (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 12, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 12, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.