Katy in Fort Bend County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Katy
On November 20, 1898, the Rev. T. L Scruggs led the first official meeting of what would later become the first Baptist Church of Katy. Among the new congregation's first twelve charter members were W.H. Featherston, W.P. & Hattie A. Morrison and seven of their family and relatives. The Morrison and Featherston families did much to support the foundation and growth of the church, first named Zion Baptist Church. They met in the one-room Katy schoolhouse with several other denominations. The Rev. J. P. Durham, a circuit Minister, was called as the first Pastor. He visited once a month alternating with the Methodists and others. In 1904 the congregation began to meet in a building erected by Katy Methodists. The Baptist Congregation changed ts name to Katy Baptist Church in 1914 and erected its own building at a cost of $1,380.
The Katy Baptist Church grew quickly with the rapidly expanding economy of the Texas Gulf Coast. A masonry building replaced the first worship center and the name First Baptist Church of Katy was adopted in 1948. Continued growth resulted in the addition of a much larger worship center and educational building
The Church has contributed to worldwide missions as a member of the Southern Baptist Convention since 1905. Direct missions include an annual outreach in Mexico and the establishment of twelve mission Churches in this area since 1946. The membership swelled to more than four thousand and the church relocated to a site just south of the original building as it celebrated its centennial in 1998. A white frame chapel was erected at the new site as a reminder of the first building and the original and continuing vision of the Church.
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11675.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is November 20, 1898.
Location. 29° 47.008′ N, 95° 49.178′ W. Marker is in Katy, Texas, in Fort Bend County. Marker can be reached from Pin Oak Road, 0.1 miles north of Tucker Street. The marker is located on the back side of the White Chapel. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 600 Pin Oak Road, Katy TX 77494, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The MKT Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); Dube's Super Market (approx. 0.3 miles away); The City of Katy (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Stewart-Lott Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); First United Methodist Church of KatyThe Morrison-Freeman Home (approx. half a mile away); The Robertson-Motherall Home (approx. half a mile away); The Romack Home (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Katy.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 217 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.