Madison in Madison County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Bullard Community
(Three Miles East)
Alabama native Calvin Cullen Bullard (1824-1882) brought his family to this area from Hunt County, Texas, in 1867 and settled on 160 acres of land between Bedias Creek and Caney Creek. In their new home, he and his second wife, Zillah (Woodbury), reared three of Bullard's children from his first marriage and six of their own.
Calvin Bullard had a blacksmith shop in the community that bears his name, and several of his descendants followed in his footsteps. The Bullards were also farmers, as were other families in the area, raising cotton as their primary cash crop.
Active beyond their community, Calvin E. Bullard served a term as County Tax Assessor-Collector and Rube Bullard was a Justice of the Peace and five-term Madison County Commissioner. A one-room schoolhouse was built in the Bullard Community to address the educational needs of the neighboring children. It operated from 1890 until 1923. Worship services were held in the schoolhouse, as well as in an outdoor brush arbor when the weather permitted.
Calvin and Zillah Bullard and many of their descendants are buried in the Bethel Cemetery in nearby Grimes
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12470.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1867.
Location. 30° 54.66′ N, 95° 54.68′ W. Marker is in Madison, Texas, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 90 and County Highway 106, on the left when traveling south on State Highway 90. The marker is located down along the easement next to the road and facing toward County Road 106. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madisonville TX 77864, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jozye Church and Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); CCC Camp Site (approx. 2.4 miles away); Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); Marian Anderson High School (approx. 2.4 miles away); Jubal Richard Parten (approx. 2˝ miles away); Wilson Chapel Methodist Church First Baptist Church of Madisonville (approx. 2.6 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 2.6 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on October 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 375 times since then and 153 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.