Priddy in Mills County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church
In the 1870s and 1880s many settlers of German ancestry began arriving in this area. In 1889, under the leadership of the Rev. R. Seils, Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized. Early worship services were held in the Bismark schoolhouse (approx. 2 Mi. S). Beginning with twenty-three charter members, the congregation grew steadily. By 1892, a small sanctuary was constructed and a cemetery was established on the church property (2 mi. SW).
Another group of families began meeting together for worship services in the Priddy community, and in December 1903 organized St. John's Lutheran Church. Services were held in the Becker Mountain schoolhouse (approx. 2 mi.E). Soon both German Lutheran congregations were being served by the same minister. In 1929 the Zion congregation moved to Priddy and built a new sanctuary. In 1941, by mutual consent, the Zion and St. John's congregations joined together to become one church under the Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church name.
A part of Mills County history for generations, this Church continues to serve the community with many forms of outreach.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 31° 40.519′ N, 98° 30.501′ W. Marker is in Priddy, Texas, in Mills County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 16 and East 1st Street, on the right when traveling north on State Highway 16. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Priddy TX 76870, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pecan Wells Cemetery (approx. 10.4 miles away); Site of the Settlement of Williams Ranch (approx. 12.1 miles away); Mullin United Methodist Church (approx. 12.2 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 17, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 21 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 17, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.