Goldthwaite in Mills County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Methodist Church of Goldthwaite
Goldthwaite Methodists trace their history to the mid 1850s when circuit-riding preachers began traveling to the area to minister to barely permanent settlers. The pioneers gathered for services in private homes, out of doors or in a one-room schoolhouse for a time they were led by the Rev. H. Childress, who was known as the "bear-hunting preacher" because of the firearms he carried for protection while traveling.
In 1885, the Santa Fe Railway founded the town of Goldthwaite. The town's railroad crew and passengers formed a ready market for goods and services, attracting new residents who formed a local congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, that year. The Rev. C. V. Oswalt was the first pastor, and within two years the congregation completed its first church structure, a wood frame building. Since that time the congregation has built several progressively larger church structures to accommodate its growth.
Due to denominational mergers, the congregation changed name to the First Methodist Church in 1939, and to the United Methodist Church in 1968.
Active in missionary and social service since
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1754.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 31° 26.948′ N, 98° 34.343′ W. Marker is in Goldthwaite, Texas, in Mills County. Marker is at the intersection of Hutchings Street and 4th Street, on the left when traveling north on Hutchings Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1011 Hutchings Street, Goldthwaite TX 76844, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mills County State Bank (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Veterans Memorial of Mills County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mills County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Town Well (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mills County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mills County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Goldthwaite Eagle (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dam and Well (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goldthwaite.
Also see . . .
1. Methodist Church. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on October 17, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
2. Circuit Riding Preachers. Wikipedia (Submitted on October 17, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 17, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 22 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 17, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.