Kingsport in Sullivan County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Old Kingsport Presbyterian Church
Old Kingsport Presbyterian Church was organized 1820 as the Boat Yard Congregation. It predated the incorporation of Kingsport by two years. In 1846, Dr. Frederick A. Ross built the church on his property at his expense, utilizing the labor of his slaves who were members. He served as pastor from 1826 to 1852. In 1851, Dr. Ross deeded the church property to the New School General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church. The church moved in 1953 from near Netherland Inn to 2049 Greenway Street on lots donated by Octavia Patton.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1A 117.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1820.
Location. 36° 33.32′ N, 82° 35.762′ W. Marker is in Kingsport, Tennessee, in Sullivan County. Marker is at the intersection of West Stone Drive (U.S. 11W) and Jennings Drive, on the right when traveling eastTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2305 Jennings Dr, Kingsport TN 37660, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Great Indian War Path (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Schoolhouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Colonel Gilbert Christian (approx. 0.3 miles away); Netherland Inn / King's Boat Yard (approx. 0.3 miles away); Netherland Inn (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bank Barn (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Boat Yard (approx. 0.3 miles away); Flatboat (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingsport.
Also see . . . Old Kingsport Presbyterian Church. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on October 17, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Additional keywords. slave labor
Credits. This page was last revised on December 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 17, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 174 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 17, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. 3. submitted on December 28, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. 4. submitted on October 17, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.