Kingsport in Sullivan County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
The Old Schoolhouse
An Ordinary (Inn) - Home - Schoolhouse Built by 1790
By 1790 David Ross' ordinary at junction of Great Stage Road (Bloomingdale Pk.) & Reedy Creek Rd. (W. Sullivan St.); 1795 leased home/inn of Sheriff Wm. & Nancy McCormick; 1817 owned by Jacob & Amanda (Rose) Myers; 1854 owners, Draper then Kendrick; 1878 Prof. “Hawk” & Ellen (Groseclose) Copenhaver Home & School. 1892 section of well-known merchant , Thomas L. Nelms family home; Restored at this location in 1986; Originally a 2-story bldg., only enough logs survived to preserve 1-story. Its small attached dependency was moved intact.
Preservationist: H.T. Spoden, P.E. Donors: Bldg. & funds John & Margaret (Nelms) Wimberly; Major Kingsport city grant; Roof funded in honor of Vurl Hammond; Chimney stones, originally Rotherwood II. Front steps, donated by Dr. Lenita Thibault.
1773 Boone Cabin / Children's Museum
In 1979/80, this 1773 cabin was carefully dismantled & moved from beside the Ky. Wilderness Rd. in Duffield Va. & reassembled here on the foundation site of the Netherland slave cabin, home of a beloved slave , Jordan Netherland & his wife, Jane Lynn. This was the
Donated by Jerry Leggs & preserved as a children's museum by the Hal Spodens, a memorial to their 5-year-old grandson, Jeremy H. Honeycutt (1973-1978). Entirely re-stored by volunteers. Preservationist: H.T. Spoden P.E.
Pence Log House Early 1800s
Early 1800s home of Joab & Mary (Gott) Pence & family. Formerly located in Argadia on Pendleton Grant Edgeman-Pence plantation; remained in Pence family for over 100 years. The home was on Arcadia Rd. between Reedy Creek Rd. (Bloomingdale Pike) & Eaton's (Chestnut) Ridge, a route frequently used by travelers and Civil War troops.
Building donated by Mr. & Mrs. Karl Braun, project supported by Joe Wimberly, building carefully dismantled, moved and preserved here in 1995 by donated funds & all volunteer labor led by volunteer P.T. Nottingham, Jr.
1790s Iron Ingot
1½ ton wrought iron ingot made in 1790s at David Ross' great iron furnace, located originally about 100 yards from the Ross ordinary. Donors: Family of Dr. & Mrs. L.C. Cox, moved by Tom Gannaway.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 36° 33.086′ N, 82° 35.676′ W. Marker is in Kingsport, Tennessee, in Sullivan County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Netherland Inn Road and Lilac Street. Marker is in rear yard of Netherland Inn. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2144 Netherland Inn Road, Kingsport TN 37660, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Netherland Inn / King's Boat Yard (within shouting distance of this marker); Netherland Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); Bank Barn (within shouting distance of this marker); The Boat Yard (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel Gilbert Christian (within shouting distance of this marker); Daniel Boone Wilderness Trail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Flatboat (about 300 feet away); Flatboat "Adventure" December 22, 1779 (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingsport.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 17, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 33 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 17, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.