Stevenson in Skamania County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
"Stump Lifter" Elected First Mayor
In December of 1907, Stevenson voted to incorporate and Dr. Avary became the first mayor. The Pioneer stated that Dr. Avary was elected because, "by his own hands, the doctor helped clear land equal to 20 town lots, the stump land now crowned by the sanatorium, a skillful practitioner and stump-lifter.
In the 1920's, Dr. Avary operated a clinic upstairs while the Stevenson Post Office and Alexander Drug Store occupied the lower or street level.
Ella Murray, Stevenson resident for 98 years, described the Avary Building as the "most elegant in town" for its gabled architecture, characteristic of the early 1900's
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics.
Location. 45° 41.623′ N, 121° 53.001′ W. Marker is in Stevenson, Washington, in Skamania County Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 198 2nd Street, Stevenson WA 98648, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stevenson Washington (within shouting distance of this marker); "White Lightning" In The Back Alley (within shouting distance of this marker); Great Depression Threatens Bank (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Steamboats Docked at Stevenson (about 800 feet away); "The Great Shoote" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bretz Floods (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wind Mountain (approx. ¼ mile away); Gatekeepers of the Columbia (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stevenson.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 84 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 18, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.