Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Limestone in Washington County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Washington College

 
 
Washington College Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 11, 2020
1. Washington College Marker
Inscription.  
First institution of learning
west of the Alleghanies
Founded in 1780
by
Rev. Samuel Doak
“Apostle of learning
and religion in the West”
whose body rests in the cemetery
adjoining the campus
has done service on this site
from the first

 
Erected by John Sevier Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducation. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list.
 
Location. 36° 13.285′ N, 82° 34.385′ W. Marker is near Limestone, Tennessee, in Washington County. Marker is on Old State Route 34 (State Highway 353) east of Ward Rowe Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2518 Old State Rte 34, Limestone TN 37681, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thomas Embree (approx. 1.8 miles away); Salem Church (approx. 2˝ miles away); a different marker also named Washington College
Washington College Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 11, 2020
2. Washington College Marker
(approx. 2˝ miles away); The Tester Brothers (approx. 3.1 miles away); Battle of Limestone Station (approx. 3.4 miles away); Washington County / Greene County (approx. 4 miles away); Plum Grove (approx. 4 miles away); David Crockett (approx. 4˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Limestone.
 
Also see . . .
1. Washington College Academy (Wikipedia). (Submitted on October 18, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
2. Asset Detail | Washington College Historic District (PDF). National Register of Historic Places registration form and accompanying photographs of the district, which includes the adjacent Salem Presbyterian Church. (Submitted on October 18, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.) 
 
Harris Hall image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 11, 2020
3. Harris Hall
Completed in 1846, it is the historic district's oldest building. It had been used as administrative offices, classrooms and a girls dormitory. It was so named in recognition of a Harris Foundation grant received in 1966.
Carnegie-Temple Hall image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 11, 2020
4. Carnegie-Temple Hall
Dating to 1909, this building housed offices, classrooms, an auditorium and gymnasium during its lifetime. It was named for Andrew Carnegie, who provided the funding to begin construction, and Oliver Perry Temple, an 1844 graduate and prominent attorney, judge and author.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 18, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 18, 2021