Springfield in Hampden County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Wells and Bicycle Blocks
254-270 Worthington Street
— Built 1876 and 1891 • Renovated 1981 —
Erected by Springfield 350th Anniversary.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Sports.
Location. 42° 6.296′ N, 72° 35.497′ W. Marker is in Springfield, Massachusetts, in Hampden County. Marker is at the intersection of Worthington Street and Stearns Square, on the left when traveling north on Worthington StreetTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 270 Worthington Street, Springfield MA 01103, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Home of the Duryea Automobile (within shouting distance of this marker); Springfield Steam Power Company Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Stacy Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Morgan Block (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stearns Building (about 400 feet away); Trinity Block (about 400 feet away); Fuller Block (about 500 feet away); Board of Trade Block (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springfield.
Regarding Wells and Bicycle Blocks. National Register of Historic Places #83000777.
Also see . . .
1. Wells Block (Wikipedia). The block was built in 1876 for Abner Abbey on the former site of his lumber yard, and was sold to Jerome Wells the following year. The first floor housed a pair of retail storefronts, while the upper floors were operated as a tenement house, boarding house, and hotel until they were extensively damaged by fire in 1946. A two-story addition was made to the rear in the 1890s. The building was home for a number of years to the Grand Union Tea Company, a prominent local retailer of specialty imported (Submitted on October 24, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. George M. Hendee (Wikipedia). Hendee first became involved with the bicycle industry after his bicycle-racing career. Not only did Hendee build bicycles, but he also sponsored numerous bicycle events and racers. Hendee eventually set up shop on Worthington Street in 1898, incorporating the Hendee Manufacturing Company with a capital stock of $5,000. The company's new line of bicycles was called Indian. (Submitted on October 24, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 23, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 24, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.