Richmond in Fort Bend County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Occupied by three generations of the Moore family, this house was built in 1883 by John M. Moore (1862-1940) for his bride Lottie (Dyer). A prosperous rancher, Moore served in the State Legislature and from 1905 to 1913 in the U.S. Congress. He remodeled this structure in 1905 from its original Victorian design to a Neo-Classical style popular in the early 20th Century. Richmond's first Baptist Church was founded in this house and noted politicians and cattlemen often visited here.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962
Erected 1962 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9011.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 34.841′ N, 95° 45.731′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Texas, in Fort Bend County. Marker is at the intersection of South 5th Street and Liberty Street, on the right when traveling south on South 5th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond TX 77469, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City of Richmond (within shouting distance Erastus ("Deaf") Smith (within shouting distance of this marker); Deaf Smith (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Bend County Courthouse (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar (about 400 feet away); The McFarlane House (about 500 feet away); Constantine W. Buckley (about 500 feet away); St. John's United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
More about this marker. The Moore Home is located on the grounds of the Fort Bend Museum.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.