Wadsworth in Matagorda County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Sacred Heart Catholic Church
Early residents of Wadsworth (est. 1909) John H. and Anna Ottis received help from Galveston Bishop N. A. Gallagher, the Rev. George Montreuil, and other Catholics in the area to erect the 2-story Sacred Heart Catholic Church/School Building in 1912 at the corner of 1st and Ave. H. Though the school closed after 2 years Catholic Services were continued. Road construction prompted the Rev. M.J. O'Regan and the congregation to reassemble the original sanctuary here in 1924. Sacred Heart continues to serve the community as a Mission of Bay City's Holy Cross Catholic Church.
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4435.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 28° 49.946′ N, 95° 56.127′ W. Marker is in Wadsworth, Texas, in Matagorda County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 521 and Avenue E, on the right when traveling south on Highway 521. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wadsworth TX 77483, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the St. Francis Catholic Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Battle Island (approx. 8˝ miles away); Hannah Carr (approx. 9.1 miles away); Graves of Unknown Matagorda Settlers (approx. 9.1 miles away); The Matagorda Incident (approx. 9.1 miles away); First Burials in Matagorda Cemetery (approx. 9.2 miles away); The Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1862 (approx. 9.2 miles away); Matagorda Cemetery (approx. 9.2 miles away).
Also see . . . Wadsworth, Texas. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on October 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.