Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Jackson in Madison County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Mother Liberty CME Church

 
 
Mother Liberty CME Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Darren Jefferson Clay, December 27, 2019
1. Mother Liberty CME Church Marker
Inscription.  On December 15, 1870, in Jackson, the Colored Methodist Episcopal Church was organized by the General Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. The first official CME Church, "Mother Liberty," which stood one block west, was razed by fire in the late 1800's. In 1893 the church was relocated to its present site. In 1954 the Colored Methodist Church became the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4D 40.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Christian Methodist Episcopal (CME) Church ⛪, and the Tennessee Historical Commission series lists.
 
Location. 35° 36.58′ N, 88° 49.036′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Tennessee, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of South Highland Avenue (U.S. 45) and Tanyard Street, on the left when traveling south on South Highland Avenue. Touch for map.
Mother Liberty CME Church image. Click for full size.
By Darren Jefferson Clay, December 27, 2019
2. Mother Liberty CME Church
Marker is at or near this postal address: 456 S Highland Ave, Jackson TN 38301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mabel Louise "Big Maybelle" Smith (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Butler Race Track c. 1825 / Memphis Conference Female Institute 1843-1923 (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Monroe Dunaway Anderson 1873-1939 / Anderson, Clayton & Company (approx. 0.3 miles away); Andersons & Claytons Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); David Crockett (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jackson Spoke Here (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Electro Chalybeate Well (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 26, 2020, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 59 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 26, 2020, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 7, 2021