Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Pleasant Grove Christian Church
This congregation evolved from a rural Union Church which met as early as 1875 in a nearby cabin. The Ladies Aid Society was formed in 1906 and began raising funds for a separate church facility. Built in 1908 on this site, the one-room structure was struck by lightning and burned in 1913. At the completion of a second building, an annual Thanksgiving dinner tradition was begun. A third sanctuary, built in 1950, was damaged by fire the same year. It was rebuilt and, despite another fire in 1965, continued to serve its congregation, including descendants of pioneer families.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6821.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion.
Location. 32° 44.105′ N, 96° 40.7′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on Pleasant Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pleasant Mound Methodist Church (approx. one mile away); Pleasant Mound "Public" Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); Albert Carver Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); Pleasant Mound Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Site of the Scyene Meeting Place (approx. 2.3 miles away); Old Scyene Road (approx. 2.3 miles away); Abraham Carver Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); Site of Peacock Military Academy (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 27, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 27, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.