Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Paducah in McCracken County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

St. Paul Lutheran Church

(Missouri Synod)

 
 
St. Paul Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 25, 2020
1. St. Paul Lutheran Church Marker
Inscription.  
Organized on Pentecost Sunday, May 24, 1868, by Rev. B. Sickel. The Congregation was incorporated January 26, 1869. First church building on South Fourth Street dedicated January 7, 1872. Present early English Gothic building dedicated November 26, 1939.

First church building 416 South Fourth St. abandoned because of 1937 flood damage. Bricks and some lumber of old structure used in erecting present building. The 1500 pound bell, almost 6 ft. in diameter, was removed and placed in the tower of the new church where it continues to ring out its call for all to worship.
 
Erected 1967 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1072.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list.
 
Location. 37° 4.551′ N, 88° 37.296′ W. Marker is in Paducah, Kentucky, in McCracken County. Marker is at the intersection of Kentucky Avenue and South 21st
St. Paul Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 25, 2020
2. St. Paul Lutheran Church Marker
Street, on the right when traveling east on Kentucky Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 S 21st St, Paducah KY 42003, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chief Paduke (approx. 0.2 miles away); Linn Boyd Home — 1853 (approx. ¼ mile away); Fountain Avenue United Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gen. Lloyd Tilghman (approx. 0.4 miles away); Westminster United Presbyterian Church (approx. half a mile away); Forrest's Headquarters (approx. half a mile away); Temple Israel (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dr. Reuben Saunders (1808-1891) (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paducah.
 
Also see . . .  A brief history of St. Paul in Paducah. (Submitted on October 28, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
 
St. Paul Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 25, 2020
3. St. Paul Lutheran Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 28, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 28, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 25, 2021