Paducah in McCracken County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
An organized Jewish community has existed in Paducah since 1864 when Paducah Chevra Yeshurun Burial Society was chartered. The first Jewish house of worship in Paducah was established in 1871, located on the east side of South Fifth between Clark and Adams. In 1873 Paducah Jewish congregation became charter member, Union of American Hebrew Congregations.
In 1893 a new structure was built on the southeast corner of Seventh and Broadway and incorporated as Temple Israel. That temple served as home for the congregation until May, 1963, when Temple Israel on southeast corner of Madison and Joe Clifton Drive was dedicated. Temple Israel Cemetery is located on Long Oak Highway.
Erected 1967 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1058.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1963.
Location. 37° 4.574′ N, 88° 37.972′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 330 Joe Clifton Drive, Paducah KY 42001, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The 1937 Flood (approx. 0.2 miles away); Westminster United Presbyterian Church (approx. Ό mile away); Church of Christ (approx. Ό mile away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Oscar Turner (approx. 0.3 miles away); Otis Dinning Drive (approx. half a mile away); Wacinton (approx. half a mile away); St. Paul Lutheran Church (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paducah.
Also see . . . History. From temple website. (Submitted on October 28, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Additional keywords. Judaica
Credits. This page was last revised on October 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 28, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 63 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 28, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.