Kosse in Limestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
After evangelist Abe Mulkey led a 1912 Revival at Kosse Methodist Church, City Officials decided to build a Tabernacle to accommodate Kosse's growing religious needs. The frame building, completed that year for $2,000, featured a gable-on-hip roof, banks of paired windows, wooden stage, choir platform and pulpit, and a dirt floor. Originally designed for church functions, it quickly became a community gathering place. Events ranged from dances and singings to fraternal organization meetings and community dinners. In the 1930s, Kosse students attended classes here after the schoolhouse burned. It has also been a polling place and a refuge for hurricane evacuees. The Tabernacle has been central to community events in Kosse.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2011
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16984.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1912.
Location. 31° 18.528′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 TX-14, Kosse TX 76653, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brown Family Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); King-Williams Cemetery (approx. 8 miles away); Kimik Kiln (approx. 8.1 miles away); Love High School (approx. 9.6 miles away).
Regarding Kosse Tabernacle. The marker is located at the front of the Kosse Community Center.
Also see . . . Kosse, Texas at TexasEscapes.com. (Submitted on November 1, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 1, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 79 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 1, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.