Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Tempe in Maricopa County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Site of Krause Hall

1919-1989

 
 
Site of Krause Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Peter Fischer
1. Site of Krause Hall Marker
Inscription.  

Built in 1919 to replace the original Tempe Normal School dining hall, this building was informally named to honor Robert and Martha Krause, who managed it as steward and matron for 30 years. Krause Hall was later remodeled as a cafeteria and was used for that purpose until completion of the Memorial Union in 1956. After that time, it was used variously as a maintenance shop, payroll and personnel office and academic office space. The building was demolished in 1989 to make room for the Life Sciences Tower.

Built: 1919 to replace original campus dining hall
Remodeled: 1921-1935
Remodeled: 1936 as cafeteria (WTA assisted)
Presidents: A.J. Mathews, George Swetman, Grady Gammage
Contractors: C.W. Brown; Adams and Cavin
Architect: Lescher and Mahoney; L.M. Fitzhugh
1919-1989

Reverse
Robert Krause, a native of Hungary, and Martha Krause, who was born in Scotland, met in California and came to Arizona on a motorcycle and sidecar in 1913. Because of their experience in food service, they were hired by President Arthur J. Matthews in 1913 to manage the Tempe Normal School's dining
Site of Krause Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Peter Fischer
2. Site of Krause Hall Marker
hall. Known for their strict rules and efficient management, "Pa" and "Ma" Krause also showed warm understanding to students who needed their attention and help. In the old dining hall, students took assigned seats with seniors at the head and foot of each table. Meals were served in boarding house style, and waiters were required to wear long-sleeved white dress shirts. Sometimes, after the tables were cleared, a dinner dance was held in the hall. Remodeled several times, the building became a cafeteria in 1936. In 1943 Mr. and Mrs. Krause retired to California. At that time they were honored by the Arizona State Teacher's College Board of Education for their 30 years of service to the institution.
 
Erected 1989. (Marker Number 1.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureEducation.
 
Location. 33° 25.181′ N, 111° 56.028′ W. Marker is in Tempe, Arizona, in Maricopa County. Marker is on East Tyler Mall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 E Tyler Mall, Tempe AZ 85281, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. "The Old Church" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Goodwin Stadium 1936-1978 (approx. ¼ mile away); Tempe Hardware Building (approx. half a mile away); Tempe Bakery/Hackett House
Site of Krause Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Peter Fischer
3. Site of Krause Hall Marker
(approx. 0.6 miles away); Farmer - Goodwin Mansion (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hayden House (approx. ¾ mile away); Site of Hayden's Ferry (approx. ¾ mile away); George W. P. Hunt / Arizona's First Governor (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tempe.
 
Site of Krause Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Peter Fischer
4. Site of Krause Hall Marker
Site of Krause Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Peter Fischer
5. Site of Krause Hall Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 2, 2020, by Peter Fischer of Phoenix, Arizona. This page has been viewed 46 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 2, 2020, by Peter Fischer of Phoenix, Arizona. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 1, 2021