Near Panamint Springs in Inyo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
You are standing in what once was downtown Skidoo.
Unlike other Death Valley boomtowns, Skidoo flourished for nearly ten years. At its height in 1907 it boasted 700 residents, a newspaper, bank, school, and telephone service. The hundreds of mines here earned about $1,600,000 (when gold sold at $20 per ounce), making Skidoo one of the most productive gold camps in California.
Skidoo was initially named "23 Skidoo," an early 20th-century slang term meaning to "go away" or "take off." The postal service refused to accept "23" as part of the name.
Erected by National Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1907.
Location. 36° 26.061′ N, 117° 8.274′ W. Marker is near Panamint Springs, California, in Inyo County. Marker is on Skidoo Road, 7 miles east of Emigrant Canyon Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Death Valley CA 92328, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Skidoo Mill (approx. 0.9 miles away); Aguereberry CampThe Eureka Mine (approx. 5.3 miles away); An Architectural Heritage (approx. 6.6 miles away); Aguereberry Point (approx. 7.3 miles away); Eichbaum Toll Road (approx. 11.9 miles away); Road To Adventure (approx. 11.9 miles away); Burned Wagons Point (approx. 11.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Panamint Springs.
Regarding Skidoo. In 1907, water was piped to here from 23 miles away, which is why “23 Skidoo” inspired the name.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 5, 2020, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. This page has been viewed 78 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 5, 2020, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.