Union in Union County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Sims High School
Sims High School, located here from 1956 to 1970, replaced a 1927 school on Union Boulevard, which in 1929 had become the first state-accredited high school for African-American students in the upstate. It was named for Rev. A.A. Sims, founder and first principal 1927-1951. James F. Moorer, principal 1951-1969, also coached the football team to 93 consecutive conference wins 1946-1954. C.A. Powell, who was white, was the school’s last principal, 1969-1970.
Erected 2011 by Sims High School
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education.
Location. 34° 42.028′ N, 81° 36.6′ W. Marker is in Union, South Carolina, in Union County. Marker is at the intersection of Sims Drive (Highway S-44-28) and Rifle Range Road, on the left when traveling east on Sims Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 Sims Drive, Union SC 29379, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Union Memorial Gardens Veterans Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Sims High School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Episcopal Church Of The Nativity (approx. 0.9 miles away); Jefferson Davis Dined in This House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Union County Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); Thomas N. Dawkins House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Union County Confederate Monument (approx. 1.3 miles away); Union Community Hospital (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Union.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 9, 2020, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 9, 2020, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.