Luling in Caldwell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Luling
Seventeen Charter Members, with encouragement from the Rev. G.W. Lane, District Missionary, organized this congregation on Dec. 3, 1875. Worship services were held outdoors and in the Masonic Lodge Hall until spring of 1876, when the first church building was erected on this lot donated by Thomas W. Peirce. A Revival in the fall of 1876 increased the membership to 50. In 1939 a fire destroyed the sanctuary, education wing, and parsonage. Cornerstone for the present church building was laid on Nov. 13, 1939, with Gov. W. Lee O'Daniel delivering the dedicatory address.
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9769.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is October 13, 1939.
Location. 29° 40.976′ N, 97° 38.826′ W. Marker is in Luling, Texas, in Caldwell County. Marker is at the intersection of North Magnolia Avenue and East Austin Street, on the right when traveling north on North Magnolia Avenue. The marker is located on the south side of the front of the church.Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 218 North Magnolia Avenue, Luling TX 78648, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Edgar B. Davis (within shouting distance of this marker); William Johnson Cabin (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Zedler's Mills (approx. 1.1 miles away); Old Nixon Cemetery (approx. 5.2 miles away); Rafael Rios No. 1 (approx. 5.4 miles away); Prairie Lea United Methodist Church (approx. 7.1 miles away); Harwood Methodist Church and Masonic Lodge (approx. 8.7 miles away); Theodore S. Lee (approx. 8.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Luling.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 10, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 67 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 10, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.