Niagara Falls in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
United States Custom House
Erected 2020 by William G. Pomeroy Foundation & Niagara Frontier Chapter, National Railway Historical Society. (Marker Number 147.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the William G. Pomeroy Foundation series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1963.
Location. 43° 6.589′ N, 79° 3.346′ W. Marker is in Niagara Falls, New York, in Niagara County. Marker is at the intersection of Whirlpool Street and Depot Avenue West, on the right when traveling north on Whirlpool Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2245 Whirlpool Street, Niagara Falls NY 14305, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Escape Prevented (within shouting distance of this marker); A Bridge to Freedom (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Great Gorge Railway Trail (about 500 feet away); To The River About the year 1600 B.C. ... (approx. 0.3 miles away in Canada); The Inukshuk (approx. 0.6 kilometers away in Canada); Pastimes and Parkways (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Gad Pierce Tavern (approx. 0.9 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niagara Falls.
More about this marker. The installation of the 2018 marker was delayed to 2020 due to the rebuilding of Whirlpool Street.
Regarding United States Custom House. The Custom House was built in 1863, serving several bridges spanning the Niagara gorge here. The Niagara River is the international border. The 1855 Niagara Falls Suspension Bridge was succeeded by the Whirlpool Rapids bridge in 1897 in the exact same place. This area was known as Suspension Bridge and Niagara City and Bellevue until the area was integrated into the City of Niagara Falls. Two other bridges immediately south were railroad bridges only. The cantilever bridge is gone. The Michigan Central arch bridge stands, but the approaches are removed. The US Customs Service vacated the Custom House in the 1960s. After being derelict for decades, the city revived it and attached a new train station to it. Now the first floor is an underground railroad museum and the second floor is occupied by Customs
Also see . . . National Register of Historic Places Record. The original approved application to the registry, National Archives (Submitted on September 13, 2023, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Additional keywords. Niagara Falls Suspension Bridge Roebling
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2023. It was originally submitted on November 13, 2020, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 225 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 13, 2020, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. 5, 6. submitted on November 21, 2020, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.